Oven French Toast With Apples
Preparation time: 30 minutes; refrigeration time: overnight;
Baking time: 1 hour; resting time: 5 to 10 minutes.
1 large loaf French or Italian bread
8 large eggs
3-1/2 cups milk or light cream
1 cup sugar
1 tbs vanilla
3 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
6-8 med-sized apples, (Cortland, MacIntosh, or Granny Smith)
1/4 stick butter
- Slice bread into 1-1/2 inch slices. Spray 9 X 13 inch glass pan with corn oil or non-stick spray. Place bread in glass dish, placing tightly together.
- In separate bowl, beat together eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, milk, and vanilla (by hand, with whisk, for about 30 seconds). Pour one-half of egg-milk mixture over bread.
- Peel, core and slice apples. Place sliced apples on top of bread to cover. Pour balance of egg-milk mixture evenly over apples.
- Mix remaining 1/2 cup sugar with cinnamon and nutmeg and sprinkle evenly over top of apples.
- Dot with butter. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day, preheat oven to 350°.
- Uncover dish and bake in oven 1 hour. It will rise high and brown nicely when cooked.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Cut into squares and serve warm with maple syrup.
- Top with whipped cream and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint